Friday, September 19, 2008

Late Night Croup

Maleiah has seemed to have a cold for few days, just a runny nose but yesterday she developed a barking cough. She went to bed at her normal time and then woke up about an hour later with some wheezing. I brought her out in the living room and watched her for a few hours and then put her to bed again around 11. When I went to bed I went in to check on her and she was wheezing so I slept on her floor. By this time we had the humidifier going and had given her cough medicine. She woke up twice, each time sounding worse. The first time I ran a hot shower and we sat in the bathroom with the steam and it seemed to get better then we moved to the couch to sleep. The last time she was visibly having trouble and didn't want to cough because she knew it would hurt so she was kind of holding her breath with this frozen look on her face. We went to the ER. Of course, I get her outside and the fresh air was good for her and by the time we got to the ER she didn't sound so bad, but they were sure it was croup. I already knew that. Fix her already. :)

So she got a steroid, Tylenol, a breathing treatment and x-rays to check for pneumonia. The great thing was that we got right in. Sat down and they called her name. Quickest trip to the ER in my parenting years to date! When we got in the car and started home I turned on the radio and "All Summer Long" by Kid Rock was on (my favorite song, deal with it) and I turned to see her rocking out, head banging in the car seat to the song. They fixed her. Thank you Methodist and Dr. Rosselini!

This morning, she still sounds a bit like a seal or a sea lion? Anyway, barking is involved almost certainly followed by tears and I am EXHAUSTED. Hoping for sleep today and so glad it is the weekend!

By the way, my friends need blogs...so if you happen to read this...GET ONE!!! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby...I hope that both of you are feeling better and catching up on some rest! You are in our prayers...but you already knew that! Get well and come out to play

Darcy @ m3b said...

I've had that happen, too. The trip to the ER seems to cure the worst of it before we get there. I think it's the adrenaline of the trip. It's a powerful hormone.

Or maybe it's fear? I don't know...

but I can relate to that. Hope she's feeling better...